some printformat items are in foreign language (tested Spanish)

Description

steps to reproduce

1. change gardenworld client to language to Spanish (Colombia)
2. change Business Partner - Patio Fun, Inc. - Document Preferences. AD_Language - REMOVE english
3. create a document - e.g. purchase order with min. 25 lines. (get multipage doc)
4. print purchase order to pdf - some printformat items are in Spanish <<BUG (language is mixed english & spanish)

Environment

2.0.0.v20140723-1809

Activity

Show:
Norbert Bede
August 8, 2014, 9:11 AM

could you please take a look. looks me important, but hieplq focus more to ireport.

Hiep Lq
August 8, 2014, 9:22 AM

i think it's miss translate issue, not just standard report or ireport
i will take a look if you want

Norbert Bede
August 8, 2014, 9:24 AM

exactly not. same for slovak language.
n

Norbert Bede
December 2, 2014, 8:29 PM

IRC CHAT
CarlosRuiz
20:11 could be related to http://wiki.idempiere.org/en/NF1.0_Base_Language_Flexible ?
20:12 I mean - if you change GW to spanish I would expect those items to be printed in spanish
20:12 the question would be why the rest is in english - probably there is a needed step if you change the GW lang to spanish - would be expected the print format items to be in spanish in such case
norbertbede
20:15 i will try to reproduce on actual demo, let you know status
norbertbede
20:23 so i recheck it. maybe not properly reported by me.
20:24 but
20:25 i assume when i change client language to spanish and BP has not document language specified in AD_Language then i like to see document in spanish not in english
20:25 as you wrote "the question would be why the rest is in english"
20:26 after i changed client language run sync doc translation, made cache reset and relogin
20:29 in this scenario i dont want to get system base language to spain with http://wiki.idempiere.org/en/NF1.0_Base_Language_Flexible just change a specific client language to a another then system language (in this case system has en_US and GW has spain)

Diego Ruiz
June 25, 2020, 9:07 AM

Triaged by Diego Ruiz,

The error is still reproducible.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Login as GardenAdmin

  2. Change GardenWiorld client to language to Spanish (Colombia)

  3. Change Business Partner - Patio Fun, Inc. - Document Preferences. AD_Language - leave empty

    1. You can also mark C&W as a vendor

  4. Run the Synchronize Document Translation process

  5. Run the Cache reset process

  6. Log out

  7. Log back in as GardenAdmin

  8. Create a document - I tested PO and SO with one or multiple lines

  9. Click on the Print Button to see the PDF report

Expected result:

The order header report is printed in Spanish completely (Client’s base language).

Actual result:

The report is printed with a mixed language (English/Spanish).

The header and the column’s titles are in English always. See the PDF

 

 

Assignee

Tomáš Švikruha

Reporter

Norbert Bede

Labels

Tested By

None

Components

Affects versions

Priority

Major
Configure